About Cutler Hammer Surge Protection
Now part of the Eaton Corporation, Cutler Hammer started out as its own entity in 1892 under the name Chicago Electric & Manufacturing Co. With Harry Henderson Cutler and Edward West Hammer at the helm, they incorporated the business in 1893 under the name Cutler-Hammer Manufacturing Co. and quickly took the lead in developing automatic motor starters which aided in the development of the control equipment of the Panama Canal.
Over the next 85 years Cutler-Hammer went through a succession of mergers and acquisitions while developing patents for vacuum tubes that were designed to control heavy currents. Later developing the rheostat, the company quickly became known best for its pioneering efforts in power distribution in the electrical industry.
By 1978, Cutler Hammer had been acquired by the Eaton Corporation and now remains a division under its own name within the line of Eaton surge protection devices.
The Cutler-Hammer Surge Protector Range
All of the Eaton Cutler Hammer surge protectors are up to date UL1449 3rd Edition devices and provide complete coverage for homes and business. While they aren’t prolific in retail stores, they have a fairly large distribution under Lowes, Home Depot and Menards. You can also find some of their products on Review Surge Protector.
There are several models within each category and cannot all be listed here, therefore categories will be defined in a general sense. Overall specifications will be noted within each category as well.
The Eaton line of Cutler Hammer home surge protectors is designed for point of entry protection.
This is a first line of defense against damaging power surges created outside the home. You may be more familiar with point of entry devices being referred to as whole house surge protectors.
The Cutler Hammer whole house surge protector handles all incoming lines to your home: AC lines, telephone and cable.
They can be used for indoor as well as some light outdoor services such as external lighting, garage door openers, sump pumps and irrigation.
Both Type 1 and Type 2 whole house protection is available.
- UL1449 3rd Edition Surge Protective Devices
- All Cutler-Hammer SPD devices are compatible with other Eaton components giving you a one stop shop for surge protection
- Limited Lifetime Warranty
- Connected Equipment Warranty (CEW)
- Available in Outdoor Mounting
- Available in Flush Mounting
- Optional Factory Installed Panel
Your second line of defense starts where whole house protection stops, with point of use devices.
Whole house surge protection doesn’t clamp low level surges. Typically anything less than 500 volts will get through your first line of defense. That’s why you need point-of-use devices.
These are surge protectors that plug directly into a wall outlet and protect individual appliances (or several appliances in the case of multiple outlet devices) at once from the damaging effects of power surges created inside the home.
Eaton Cutler Hammer covers all your interior surge protection needs, everything from single outlet surge protectors to multiple outlet surge strips.
All surge strips are equipped with line noise filtration.
- EMI/RFI noise filtration
- Limited Lifetime Warranty
- Comprehensive CEW*
- Available in these models:
- Micro series (good): wall mount surge protectors, 1-6 outlets, 540 joules, 36 kA Max Peak Current, 330 V Clamping Voltage, EMI/RFI Noise Filter up to 40dB, 125 Vac, 15A, 60Hz, 1875W, UL/cUL Listed
- Max series (better): 6′ cord, 7-8 outlets with protective sliding covers, 1080- 2160 joules, 330 V Clamping Voltage, EMI/RFI Noise Filter up to 40dB, 125 Vac, 15A, 60Hz, 1875W, UL/cUL Listed
- Ultra series (best): 6′ cord, 8-12 rotating outlets,2160 – 4320 joules, 330 V Clamping Voltage, EMI/RFI Noise Filter up to 58dB, 125 Vac, 15A, 60Hz, 1875W, UL/cUL Listed
- Construction Series (durable metal housing): 6′ cord, 7 outlets, 1080 joules
*Reimbursement Maximum Amounts for Eaton Surge Strips.
Micro Level: $50,000 (the catalog # will contain “micro”
– example: (smicro7, sgxmicronet6)
Max Level: $75,000 (the catalog # will contain “max”
– example: (smax7, sgxmaxnet6)
Ultra Level: $150,000 (the catalog # will contain “ult”
– example: (sult7, sgxultnet6)
More warranty info can be found here.
Light Commercial Surge Protection (CVL Series)
From Eaton’s Clipper Power System (CPS), the Clipper VL is meant for commercial business and some light industrial applications.
It provides EMI/RFI filtration as part of its surge protection system and is designed as a backup during power outage situations that arise from power surges.
- Surge Plane technology (uses low impedance copper platform instead of heavy gauge wire)
- Compact design for secure mounting
- Status indicator lights for power, surge, fusing and device status
- 6 surge current ratings for various applications
OEM and Panel Mount Surge (CVX)
Keeping with its history of innovation, the Cutler Hammer Panel Mount Surge Protector is Eaton’s first in the industry to achieve a 20,000 amp discharge current making this unit ideal for light industrial applications or part of Eaton’s power distribution packages.
Available for single phase, split phase, three-phase Wye, or three-phase Delta systems.
- Mov Techonology
- Threshold Response Network suppresses high energy impulse transients
- NEMA 4X enclosure
- LED phase indicators
- Mulitple wiring available: single phase, split phase, three-phase Wye, or three-phase Delta
OEM and Panel Mount Surge (Critical Load Surge Filters)
The next tier up from the CVX series, the Critical Load Filters use Cutler Hammer’s own AEGIS technology to effectively subdue transient loads and line noise from damaging industrial equipment handling critical applications from ATM services to automotive assembly.
- Unique series hybrid design extends the life of your microprocessors by eliminating degrading power disturbances
- High performance filtering capabilities guarantees a superior level of reliability.
- Status monitoring lights expedite your troubleshooting efforts during downtime situations.
- Five-year extended warranty on the microprocessor power supply protected by AEGIS
- Filters: Two Stage (loads up to 100A); Hardwired Surge (critical loads 3-20A); Plug-in Surge (loads up to 15A with RJ-11 modem protection)
- Mounting Connections: DIN-Rail, J-Rail or Flange
- Remote Monitoring
Cutler Hammer Contact
1111 Superior Ave.
Cleveland, OH 44114