The most common way people protect their equipment is through the use of something called a point-of-use protector. This surge protector operates by channeling or otherwise blocking the excess voltage from getting into sensitive electronic devices. This allows the currents that are safe get through and enable your electronic to operate properly. If one decides to go this way, one should keep in mind not to confuse a power protection strip with a normal power strip. The ordinary power strip is deceptive as it appears similar to a surge protector but does not protect and electrical appliance from excess voltage.
Another way to protect appliances is by installing a whole house surge protector. This is a device that suppresses surges at the point where power comes into your home. Whole house surge protection installation beings at the main panel. The device suppresses power spikes as they make their way into the house from external power sources, i.e., your power company. This method offers the home an umbrella protection for all the electrical devices in the home. This is especially suitable for appliances that do not use very much power and don’t require a single outlet surge protector. However, sensitive equipment such as televisions or A/V equipment may still benefit from individual surge protectors. You should also install a clothes dryer surge protector on your washer/dryer units and like devices for other large appliances. A smart homeowner will, in the end, use a combination of the two in order to safeguard their home sufficiently.
One important factor when it comes to this type of surge protection is often overlooked. This is the voltage that is considered let through. What this is, is the amount of the current that is allowed to pass through to electronic devices after the currents that are damaging have been diverted into the ground. This current needs to be strong enough to actually allow the equipment to continue working as normal.
One should never underestimate the danger that a power surge can cause if the equipment in the home is left unprotected. There are so many things that can go wrong in this situation. The fact that valuable, expensive and extremely useful equipment can malfunction and some pieces never function again the way it was supposed to is the least a resident has to worry about. The worst-case scenario can leave the residence damaged due to fire and the people who live in the home may be injured or even worse, their lives may be in danger.
Today many home fires are started by ordinary electrical spikes extending from faulty out-of-date wiring. This is a scary fact and a sad one at that as most of these incidences could have been prevented by the use of simple surge protectors. It is important to install this equipment in the house and ideally there will be whole house surge protectors as well as individual protectors to keep special items such as computers safe. This is inexpensive equipment that is very easy to purchase. All one has to look is look online or stop in to their local store and pick one up. One of the best names in whole house protection is the Sycom surge protector.